SHORT STORIES

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

lockout

Is I was walking home from school, I was called over next door by Mercy and Jamie. Apparently, they were trying to get into Timothy and Meredeth's house, but did not have a key. It then occurred to me that I had seen Mercy and Jamie walking over to said house just before French class started: over an hour ago. Yes. They had been trying to figure out how to get in for over an hour. They told me they had discovered the little window which led into the master bedroom closet, which Mercy remembered Roy had once crawled through in a similar predicament. She asked me if I might try. She and Jamie had already tried, but being beset by certain handicaps that usually beset females, they had not been able to fit. I, being a scrawny young lad, should easily be able to fit.
So I hoisted myself up to the window, using the shelves in the little porch laundry room, turned around, and squeezed in legs first. As I was blindly feeling around foor a foothold inside the closet, Mercy warned me not to step on the lower window pain (which she had preciously knocked out by accident and was lying on the closet floor). I narrowly missed the glass in my agile, ninja-like landing. Crouching, I waited silently... listening...
Were those voices I heard? Ah, oui, bien sur! But what could this mean? Mercy had told me that there was no one home. And yet I distinctly heard a man's voice coming from within the house, possibly two men's voices.
Carefully replacing the window pane, I crept into the house with stealthy tread. The voices were coming from the kitchen. On silent feet that made not a sound, I sneaked to the corner of the bar, and SPRANG!!!
...into an empty kitchen. The radio. It was the radio. Who in their right mind had left on the radio I did not know, nor really did I care.
So I returned to the back door to let in Mercy and Jamie and...

Locked. From the inside. And of course, I hadn't a key. No need to fret, there were lots of keys hanging in the kitchen. No, said Mercy, I should just let them in at the front door. So I went to the front door. Locked. Presently Mercy appeared with Jamie, lugging a huge collection of keys.
"Where in the world did you get those?" says I.
"Found 'em," says she, with a bit of a grin. I rolled my eyes and waited whilst Mercy tried key after key. Then, Bingo! they were inside. Of course, there was much ado made about thanking and many "oh no problem, it was a fun adventure"s from me, and I proceeded to exit through the front door. Locked. HEH.
Of course, by this time, Mercy had forgotten which key to use, as they all looked the same. So again, we went through each key until we finally found one that worked.
And so, I left.
But yes. It was an adventure.

2 comments:

elliebird said...

haha, the radio. we leave our radio on when we go out of town...for specifically that reason. if anyone tries to break in, they'll hear voices, get scared, and hopefully, run.

Chelsea said...

haha!!
that's fantastic, what an epic adventure.. but so odd, i've never heard of it being locked inside...
that reminds me of that one time y'all locked the keys in the car and i fit my skinny little arm through the window..

WV- Unders... hahah